onsdag 3. desember 2014

If it's good to be back expect more

It's been a while.

Almost two years, actually.

1 year, 11 months and 11 days, to be exact. That's a lot of ones.

I never bothered to explain why I left in the first place. For some reason, I felt like I did not want to do this anymore, even as my life was heading into a very exciting phase at that time. I would have had a lot of things to write about. You guys missed out. Sorry.

There have been two cases of me logging on and putting words to paper (screen?) since : after Sandy Hook happened (this was before my last post), I had a few words. Never published, probably never will. And about a girl. That one was never intended for publication, because, well, it's none of your damn business.

The reason for me doing this - writing - has always been personal. I write because I have something to say. Not necessarily anything intellectual or of value to the average reader, but nonetheless for me, things that need to be said. In the past few years twitter has been an outlet of sorts for me. Highly compressed as they are, opinions on twitter are fast and must be precise due to their length (or lack thereof) and the fact that there is a new one every five fucking minutes.

A quick glance on my twitter account tells me I have posted 5960 tweets, and I remember starting the account right around 3 years ago (November-December 2011). Those numbers mean that I have sent an average of 1980 (estimate due to not knowing the exact date of my debut) tweets per year, which comes out to about 5,4 tweets per day. Not a staggeringly high number, but one could assume that twitter took over for this current format as my main source of expression. Not to mention, over time, I have accumulated a small following on twitter, which basically guarantees that someone sees my tweets (and thus my opinions).

For the past week or so, I have toyed with the idea of bringing this back. Taking up writing again. Part of me really miss writing. In grad school I would churn out on average 8-10 pages per week. I miss writing. It is a pleasant form of expressing oneself. It is precise, permanent, and it can convey messages in a way that video or voice cannot. And, the long-form of it, which at least this post must be considered, has been overlooked recently because of the ascension of twitter, among other things.

I am not back to writing because I really need to tell you the story of how we snowed in in Brighton in early February last year or how embarrassed I was when I faceplanted at Hafjell last September. I don't need to tell my version of the Boston Marathon bombings or how much I miss living in America. If those stories need to be told in this forum, then it will be at a later time.

Initially, I wrote another 200+ words on current racial tensions in America. I'm not sure if I can post it. It isn't controversial, it isn't new. But it's written by a white male from one of the most homogeneous countries in the world. I do have an opinion. I just don't think it matters here.

Ingen kommentarer: