mandag 26. september 2011

I have no idea why this is here

A man walks in to a bar, sits down, orders a brew. I say what's up. He salutes me in common dude-ish fashion, and we banter. He asks me where I'm from. I say Norway. He says 'Me too!' Or he's half Irish or half Italian or half Turkish or half Jupiter. Whatever. Point is, talk to any white American male, and they will tell you where they are from. Anywhere but America itself.

White Americans (especially males) have a tendency, a need almost, to be from somewhere else than actually the US. Is this a pride thing? Perhaps. I have a different theory. It might be that they give away these hints at heritage, because they want to seem more diverse. As in that will help them forget the transgressions against the African-American and natives. As in that they are still proud to be American, but they long for something else to hold on to. It's not easy to explain, it's something that is best experienced. If you've lived with them, you would know.

Ingen kommentarer: