fredag 18. november 2011

The second night of my drinking, I was looking for my car

And as luck would have it, I found it parked outside my favorite bar.

I toyed around with the title of this post for quite some time. One I thought about using was "Come back baby, rock and roll never forgets." Another one was "Turning mountains into oceans, putting people on the moon", which is very close to what I feel the Drive-By Truckers did tonight.

The House of Blues is an establishment in itself. And for me, to experience the Truckers there the first time I enter, it is a feeling I cannot describe. Right from the get go with "Used to be a cop" and "Three dimes down", Mike Cooley and Patterson Hood show why they are the songwriters they are, and not to forget, why they play such good guitar.

This is the second time I've seen DBT. First time was out in the sticks, in Norway, back in 2008. This time around, their show was more rock'n'roll. Way more. We were treated to heavy guitar riffs, solos and drumming, we got to see singing from Mike and Patterson almost 50/50 (the lovely Shonna Tucker treated us to a few tunes, including the absolutely gorgeous cover of "Where's Eddie". If you have not heard their rendition of this song yet, I strongly advice you too, regardless of your musical preferences. It is simply a masterpiece of a song), and we got a decent number of encore songs.

It was good to see they guys play a lot of stuff from "...Opera" and "Dirty South", and I was obviously ecstatic when "Zip City" came on for the encore. But it was also a pleasant surprise to hear "Women without whiskey" and "Where the Devil won't stay", not to mention "The fourth night of my drinking". Such was the show that I am having a hard time picking high points.

Bottom line is, if you are a rock and roll fan, and you have not seen the Drive-By Truckers perform yet, you have missed out. Some might say they play country music, some might say they are boring. To those people, I say fuck you. DBT are one of the few bands that stay honest to the medium, they perform like it's the last show they will ever play, and their song repertoire is unprecedented. Songwriting like no-one else.

I did want to hear "Dead, drunk, and naked" and "Assholes", but with that much good stuff from "...Opera" and "Dirty South", not to mention the stuff they played off "Go-go Boots", I really can't complain. Well worth the money, and I hope it's not three years till next time.

PS: I had Denver +4.5 tonight.

Ingen kommentarer: