fredag 13. april 2012

Tonight. We are young.

So it has come to my attention that I might literally be the worst blogger in the world. Literally.

Apart from all the self-deprecating shit and destructive thoughts here on Friday the 13th (April at that, whaddayaknow!), I want to talk about something that is near and dear to me.

Music.

Today, specifically about music in advertisement.

We have all heard the rather awkward jingles on the radio, selling everything from tires, cars, chocolate milkshakes and hamburgers to spa days, shampoo and pet supplies. But one thing I have noticed is that new music is more frequent in advertising on American television than it is in Norway. It appears that up-and-coming American musical acts utilize the commercials of brand names to spread their music. Two examples: this video was used in a commercial for an evil conglomerate named Apple. Quite a catchy tune if you ask me. One might even sing along.

This here video was used in a commercial for an automobile maker, and I have to admit, I absolutely love it. LOVE. IT. It might be my favorite song this year. And this is a song that I probably never would have known existed if it wasn't for the medium of the commercial during sporting events (these make up the bulk of my TV time).

My question is, is this a useful marketing strategy? Or do bands run the risk of having their songs labeled "that Apple commercial" or "that awesome car commercial?"

Ingen kommentarer: