onsdag 28. november 2012

Addicted to that rush

Hi my name is Eddie and I'm and addict.

Quite a revelatory statement, and one that opened my eyes a little bit. Contrary to popular belief (and to the great relief of my mother) I am not an alcoholic. I am not a drug addict. However, I am addicted to social media.

What? I shaved for this? you might say. Social media addiction? Sounds fucking boring and not real and just a way for you to explain why you waste so much time on Facebook. And maybe it is. I think I spend too much time on Facebook (and to some extent, Twitter, although that platform is of greater use to me these days). And even when I am aware of this, I still go on Facebook virtually every time I am on a computer (unless I'm really pressed for time and just printing that one article for class).

That has to classify as an addiction, right?

This led me to another thought. Are there any non-addicts left in our society? And again, we are talking about mundane things. I know my dad is addicted to coffee, along with a large percentage of the population. My mom might be addicted to exercise. They are both addicted to each other. My roommate is addicted to his videogame. I have a few friends who are addicted to nicotine. I have several friends who are addicted to chocolate. I know people who are addicted to certain types of food, be they avocadoes, mussels or calamari.

Current research has shown that going to AA meetings is itself an addiction in some people on par with alcoholism. Obviously, less liver damage, but you get the idea. Isn't this a bit alarming? That addicts, instead of getting cured, simply swap one addiction for something else? Or is this a result of our society where everything is easy to get and nothing easy to get rid of?

I'm not an expert on this, not at all. Addictions are widespread, and as I said, often we are addicted to mundane things. On the other hand, part of me can't help but think that any addiction is bad for you, be it cocaine or cheddar cheese.

Ingen kommentarer: